Monday, January 29, 2007

Head In the Clouds


I'm a bit confused because of all the things I want to do. I've got painting and photography and teaching and metaphysics and writing all floating around in my head vying for my attention. I'm dreaming of the future, not sure what to do first, what to focus on, and then again, I'm not sure if it's even necessary to achieve focus right now.

Not only that, but I have two great ideas about new business ventures in my head, two roads I could follow. These ideas are the kind that give me chills when I think about them. Both mean an expansion, a further exploration, one into art, one into teaching. I wonder if the two roads will ever converge. I wonder if there's one I want more than the other. I wonder if I even have to choose. Maybe I can do both.

Although I love my tutoring business, I wonder if that career will contain me or if I will break out of its box. I have a feeling the box is already becoming too cramped for me. I constantly seek growth.

Growth is essential. I loathe stagnation. I am not content to remain where I am because I know there is always something new I can try. But this creates a paradox in my mind, because I also value being present, loving everything that's in my life right now. There's a delicate balance to strike between being grateful for what is and striving for more. I do know, however, that being grateful for the wonderful things in my life brings more wonderful things. So maybe it's not really a paradox.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Something I always try to remember is that although it's nice if one's passion is also on'es career, it doesn't have to be that way. So if you can't manage to get paid to do what you absolutely love, make sure that your job at least affords you the time and money to do the things you love on your free time. That will ensure you can have "and" instead of "or."