Thursday, February 1, 2007

Healing Needles

Today is a good day because I get to go see my acupuncturist.

If you would have told me a few years ago that I would pay good money to have needles inserted into my skin in order to feel better, I would have laughed myself silly. I hate needles, especially getting shots, and I nearly have a panic attack whenever I get blood drawn (something I've avoided for probably four years).

But, sometimes it takes desperate measures to overcome fears. Last spring I was having wrist problems, so I went to a physical therapist. I can only describe that as torture. In addition, I was dealing with some delicate female issues that my family doctor wanted to cure by giving me pill after pill. None of those pills were working, and in fact, they made my condition worse. After I decided I didn't need to go through any of that anymore, I happened to talk to a friend who was getting acupuncture. She loved her doctor and recommended I go see him. I instantly got a feeling of connection to this doctor, so I made an appointment. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

The first day I went to Dr. John, I walked in with a sheet I had meticulously filled out describing my maladies. There was a picture of a woman on the page and I was supposed to put an "x" wherever I felt pain. There was at least one "x" on every part of that woman's body, if not two or three. I was in need of serious help.

When the doctor saw the sheet, he laughed in suprise. He said, gently, that he was only looking for the most serious thing, but I told him it was all serious. He didn't shrug me off. He listened. Not like my old doctor, who rushed in and rushed out, barely asking me any questions.

I had acupuncture that day, and to be honest, it was pretty awful. I could barely sit up afterward and I had to have a few minutes to make the room stop spinning. But I also knew, in my heart, that it was working. My doctor loaded me up with Chinese herbs (he's also a licensed Chinese herbalist) and probiotics, and sent me on my way.

At first I went to him every two weeks. Now I'm happy to say I've graduated to once a month. My condition is improving rapidly, something he tells me each time I'm there. What he said in the beginning was true: he predicted I'd feel 80 percent better in three months, and 100 percent better in a year or a year-and-a-half. Right now I'm approaching the six month mark and I feel great. There are some residual things that he is clearing up, but I feel like I have my health and my body back. I'm looking forward to August, when I hope to be completely up to speed.

Now I'm a total believer in Chinese medicine. I don't think you'll be able to get me to a Western doctor unless it's for an emergency that requires a hospital or for surgery. Otherwise, I plan on considering Dr. John as my family doctor.

No comments: